Friday 4 January 2008

Lucky Bag 福袋


Lucky Bags are a New Year's Tradition here in Japan. Most shops make them up ready for the first day of business of the New Year. The bags aways contain things which are worth much more than the ticket price, so you are definitely guaranteed a bargain, but the bind is that you are not allowed to look inside, so there's a 50 -50 chance that you might not love what is in there. People line up hours in advance of the department stores opening on the first day of the sales, for a chance to grab a bag from their favourite designer, or jewellery maker.

私って絶対に中身が見えない福袋を買うタイプじゃないけど、何年か前、調子にのって、好きな雑貨屋の「私の部屋」の福袋をなぜか買ってみた。ビックリしたけど、その中に入っていたものは全部いいもので、あれからずっと使っている。だから、何でも疑う傾向がある私にとって、「時々気まぐれでいいよ」と言うメッセージとして受け取った。DrYも実は福袋が大好きだから、毎年「私の部屋」の福袋を買うのが家の習慣になってしまった。

だから今日も行ってみた。

Now, Wii Consoles aside, I have never been one for queueing for anything, far less buying anything without seeing it at least 3 times and obsessing about it for weeks first. However, a few years ago I decided on an impulse to get into the spirit, and bought a lucky bag from one of my favourite shops. The shop sells home and kitchen goods, and I have to say everything the bag contained has been used in our house ever since. I took it as a message not to be so mistrusting and obsessive, and sometimes to throw caution to the wind.

Dr Y secretly loves the idea of lucky bags, almost as much as he love me admitting I may have been wrong, so, it has become family tradition to buy a lucky bag at Watashi no Heya every year. I have to say I haven't got much I didn't like.

さて、今年の袋の中身:
So, to this year's haul:

For ¥5000 I got this lot. Not too keen on the wee acorn leaf plates, but all in all quite a usuable lot!
They helpfully leave the prices still on most of the stuff, and the total value was in the region of ¥13,000! Appeals to the Scot in me! Can't quite bring myself to go for the clothes lucky bags yet though!
¥5000の「洋」の袋でした。葉っぱの小皿はちょっと。。。ってかんじだけど、他は皆結構使えそう!元の値段が着いているから、およそ¥13,000の品を¥5000で手に入れたから、ケチと言われるスコットランド人の私にとって大満足!
きっといい年になるわ!
Looks like it might be a good year!

No comments: