Sunday 1 February 2009

The Spirit of Christmas

On the weekend between visitors, we went to Diamond City for the long awaited Wall-e, at he pictures. It really was quite enjoyable, even for the big kids in the audience!!
As luck would have it, we just happened to be there on the day that the Saniku High School kids from Miyoshi were there doing their annual Carol singing in the mall. Now you know I'm the biggest heathen out, but I do love Christmas, and always was one for the Carol service on Christmas Eve, albeit with a few cocktails inside to warm me up! Japan's Christmas spirit has improved over the years, but this is one of the few events that actually manages to bring a homesick tear to my eye. Not only does it take me back to my own high school Christmas Carol singing for charity days, but the collection for poor kids in Tibet at the end is one of the rare acts of charity that I see here. Mairi definitely benefits from at least one chance to think about people other than her good self at this time of year, so I'm glad we happened to be there.
Not only that, they put on a damn good show!


No comments: