Saturday 28 February 2009

Setsubun and excuses


Well folks, after much heckling, I thought I better explain my lack of blogging. If you were here in Hiroshima, you know how hectic the end of the year was for me, and the result was that the start of the new one was spent in bed. However I am even quite amazed myself to find that I don't seem to have even one photo of the period between the last post and Setsubun, which is at the beginning of February.
Apart from everyone in the house being ill at the end and the start of the year, we did manage to have a nice Christmas. Good friends proved their mettle by coming over and risking possible infection anyway, after Mairi dramatically barfed quite literally all over her Christmas presents as soon as she had opened them! I thought it had all been a flash albeit not in the pan (!) as she seemed to be fine all day, when Aunty L quietly informed me that she had found the signs of regurgitated rice balls in the toilet. Quizzed on why she hadn't told me: " I thought you'd make all my friends go home if you thought I was sick".... Not sure whether to find this new found deviousness cute or disturbing really.
I know I took pictures at Christmas, but I don't know where I stored them, as the Macbook keyboard incident meant I couldn't do anything for a long time. When I find them, I will do an after the fact post, but in the meantime, thanks to everyone who spoiled Mairi and me rotten as usual.

We had a between Christmas and New Year leftover dinner with some more good friends, and then I got the cold, and was not really feeling very festive for New Year. It was nice to have Ji-chan come and spend New Year's Eve with us while Ba-chan was away climbing mountains, and we had a traditional Ikegami entry into the first New Year in our new house. That means eating too much, a few quiet sakes, and watching the red and white song contest on the telly.
Didn't seem the most auspicious start to the new year, with Ji-chan and myself with rotten colds, and then we got the news that Ba-chan had slipped on the mountain on New Year's Day and broken her leg.
What with my mum in Scotland, I was beginning to wonder if we were all cursed...

All in all January was a recharging session. I even had to take a couple of days off work, much to my disgust. I didn't go very far or take any pictures at all really and the MacBook was in getting fixed for a couple of weeks too, so that didn't help the blogging either. Anyway, in February things started hotting up a bit again, so I'll fill you in on that next time.

OUT with the demons, IN with the good fortune, as we yell at Setsubun. I mean really!!

No comments: