Thursday 20 March 2008

Peace Park Ponderings


In the hustle and bustle of daily life, I sometimes forget the significance of my adopted hometown. Making the bus on time, grading papers, and what to have for dinner- these things are nearer the surface of my conscience than the fact that my daughter was born across the road from the scene of one of the most devastating events of the 20th century.
These days, my head is in even more turmoil than usual, as we are trying to decide whether or not to build a house, with all that entails, and I have a lot of work related running about to do, what with the end of the school year and all, not to mention challenges for the new one. The other night, Weechan safely ensconced at a friend's house for the night, I headed off to a farewell party for departing colleagues, uncharacteristically by public transport (yes, for alcoholic purposes!), so I was able to have a quick wander through the Peace Park at dusk on the way.
I won't wax on the usual subjects that I have already covered, as do most, when they pass by the A-Bomb Dome, but let's just say that a walk through that special place always helps to put things into perspective. Whatever your current issue is, generally it really is not the end of the world - as it once was here.
Spring is finally arriving in Hiroshima, with all the blooming treats it always brings. The cherry blossoms are not quite here yet, but I especially love all the flowering trees that we just don't have in Fife!
This gorgeous tree (I think it is a kind of magnolia?), blooming gracefully beside a river at twilight, in a place where it was said that no plants would thrive for 70 years, gave me a moment of calm in my stormy mind. Good things happen and beauty can be found, even when the present situation makes it seem impossible. Aaaah! I'm getting all philosophical again, so I'll quit while I'm ahead...



No comments: