Monday 26 November 2007

The One Where Jax Becomes a Dissident

日本語版を後で加えますけど、英語が分かる方、是非したのリンクをクリックしてみてください。Petition.
This is a subject I've been wanting to rant about for a couple of weeks, but right now I don't have the time. Japan has recently put into effect a law, supposedly to combat terrorism, which means that all foreigners, irrespective of visa status, must be photographed and fingerprinted, every time we enter the country. I still don't have the time to do it justice, but in the meantime, today's "Blog of Note" seems to have given a good rant in my place.
If you even care about my human rights, have a look at this: Vegetable Japan. Sign the petition too if you care enough. Maybe it will make no difference, but it is always the apathy that lets the people like the authors of these laws win. You can sign anonymously and it's free. there is a request for a donation to the website, but you can skip it.
I will probably add my own rant at some point, and my opinions may differ from that blog author's (I haven't had time to read all of it in detail), but would be very interested to hear what people think about it, and grateful if people who are not necessarily foreign residents in Japan would add their support and comments to the petition. I think Japanese people who are not directly affected, are the ones who need to stand up and be counted, as it's YOUR country which is the lesser for this blatantly discriminatory law.
I am a law abiding, tax paying citizen of this country. I advocate no law breaking. I do not see how my race, or nationality makes me more likely to be a terrorist, than say Shoko Asahara, who was, I believe, Japanese, born and bred. My daughter will now have to watch her mother being fingerprinted like a criminal every time we come back from visiting her relatives and friends in Scotland. What effect - even if only subliminal- will that have on the way she sees them and me?
America does it too? Well if two wrongs making a right is an adult argument, knock yourself out....

I just hope that my registering a negative comment about this law, will not be used against me or my family or friends at a later date, if Japan continues to slide down this slippery slope of institutionalized xenophobia like other infamous regimes have in the past.

No comments: