Friday 23 November 2007

Deep and Meaningful....?

Borrowed from an online Linguistics 1 course whose author was not obvious. I would have accredited him.

Been reflecting recently, which is not always a good thing; about how we get impressions of people and make value judgements about them, based on messages visual, vocal or subliminal, that they never meant to send. We all do it, and it can't be helped, we can only interpret things through our own experiential filters, if you like. Sad though, that so many of these mixed messages and miscommunications lead to concrete troubles and real anguish and pain everyday. When I see my friends misunderstanding each other, I always feel saddened, and, more often than not to my own disadvantage, find myself trying to interpret between them to make it all better. Of course this generally ends in making the situation worse, but I seem to be pre-programmed to try. Comes from a basic naive wish that we could just all get along with and tolerate each other, which would of course then lead to world peace! Simple as that! Has no-one realised???
Which then of course leads you to start wondering what impression others have of you.....But if I start going down that path, my fragile psyche might never recover, so I'll just assume everyone knows and loves me for the great specimen of humanity that I know I am (!?!).

Anyway, Blogger (who host this blog) have come up with a "Blogs of Note" widget you can put on your iGoogle personalized homepage, and it gives you their selection for the blog of the day. I personally have no time for surfing the internet, but as a serial blogger myself, I am interested in what's out there. So, much in the same way that a CD shop freaks out the music lover in me with its infinite choices, making me the queen of the "Greatest Hits" compilations; I am happy to be spoonfed one blog a day. There really are some weird and wonderful people out there, doing strange and creative stuff. Yesterday's blog Attitude of Gratitude is by a recovering alcoholic artist. I like his art. He waxes lyrical quite a bit, but I saw a couple of quotes which speak to my present state of mind there, so I'll share them with you:

If you were walking back from a well, carrying a bucket of water & someone jostled you, there could be spilled from the bucket only that which it contained. As you walk along the way of life, people are constantly bumping into you. If your heart is full of ill nature, bad temper, and ugly disposition, only those things will be spilled from it. On the other hand, if it is full of love, you will spill a smile or pleasant remark. You can spill from your bucket only that which it contains. ~Author Unknown


Always know that what other people think of you is their own concern, not yours. Do what you know is right, and fully accept that others will think what they will think. Certainly it is valuable to make a good impression. Keep in mind, though, that the best way to make a good impression is not to worry endlessly about what others think. The way to make the best impression is to be authentic. Allow the goodness that is within you to shine through your genuine courtesy, kindness, respect and consideration. By caring so much about receiving validation from others, you prevent yourself from getting it. Instead, share your real value with those around you and that value will be clear for all to see. Don't waste your time and effort keeping up appearances. Put your attention and energy into real solid substance, and your appearance will take care of itself. The more you strive to make a good impression, the less successful you'll be at doing so. Just relax and be yourself, and you'll be truly and authentically impressive. ~Ralph Marston

This is kind of how I feel. It's a bonus if it comes across that way. It really is all about communication, folks.

I'll give the last word to Robert Burns:

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us
An foolish notion:
What airs in dress an gait wad lea'es us,
An ev'n devotion!

From Burns' “To a Louse

No comments: