Thursday 16 August 2007

To the King


It's 30 years since Elvis died, and it's got me all nostalgic. My Mum was always a big movie buff, particularly musicals, so any of you who have had to suffer me doing " I could have danced all night" or "Over the Rainbow" (sometimes at quarter speed) at dodgy karaoke bars, or sing the "Sound of Music" in its entirety on a long car trip have her to thank. I can also remember watching all the Elvis movies. Even though I was born at the end of his era, I still had a sense of his impact on society. Like him or his music or not, he was one of those icons. He is probably the first of the people in my lifetime, where the question " Can you remember what you were doing when ****** died?" gets a yes.
I distinctly remember sitting on the wall by myself beside our drive in Townhill when I heard the news, with a sense that something big had happened. Even though he was "just" a singer, he made his mark. I remember wondering what mark I would make.
I can't believe 30 years have passed since then. When I was 8, "30 years from now" seemed like an impossible eternity. 14 was quite as old as you could get or needed to get to be cool. I was equally shocked when the first talk of the 30 year anniversary came on the telly. 30 years. Wow! And I'm still wondering what mark I am making, or might make......He probably died wondering too.
Elvis, I hope you are still around, whooping it up with Princess Diana and Lord Lucan somewhere, having the last laugh.

No comments: