Friday 26 June 2009

MIchael



So I'm kind of sad. Whatever you can say of him, he's the icon of my generation I suppose. Like Elvis was for my Mum's.
But I have to say I was genuinely surprised today at work. I teach 12 1nd 13 year olds on Fridays, and was expecting them all to give me the "So what?" look when I mentioned him dying.They have often not even heard of huge Western stars. Some of them did. Then at lunchtime, a 13 year old girl came running up screaming "Jackie!!" (I get this a lot).

"Jackie, you told 2-5 that Michael Jackson is dead"

"Yes, I'm really sad."

" NOOOO!"

And then she burst into tears in my arms. In all seriousness.

Who cares about all the rest of it?

If you can make a 13 year old girl in Japan cry when you die, that's the mark of a true superstar. And there has to be a reason for that.

Call me sad, but I'll drink to him.

Hope he's at peace now.


No comments: