Thursday 2 July 2009

Morals - Hiroshima A-Bomb Education for 6 year-olds


Today Weechan's 4th period class was "Morals". I was interested to see what that was going to be about.
She came home full of tales of a video they had been shown.

"Okori Jizo" or Angry Jizo, is basically a tale of one little girl's experience of the 6th of August, 1945.
I have heard Weechan's garbled version of the story, which has large gaps in it, but it has obviously made a big impression on her. She can't stop talking about it.

I've just ordered a copy of the book above from Amazon so I can see what the message of it is meant to be, but I'll leave you with the words from the mouth of my babe before she went to sleep:

"So if America and Japan were fighting about something, and they both did bad things, then they just have to say they're "sorry", and "that's OK", and we can all get along again with no more big bad bombs"

In a nutshell really.

I'm reserving judgement on what I think of showing this stuff to 6 year-olds, until I see what's in the book, and I definitely have a raised eyebrow about whether it should be shown in "morals" class. But it's hard to complain about any anti-bomb propaganda, when you live in this city really.
We're not going to be here for bomb day this year, so I'll show you a couple of YouTubes I found while searching for a video version of the above story. None of them will make you feel very good, btw, and you probably shouldn't watch in front of any small children you're not ready for that chat with yet.

The first is an cartoon about the message Hiroshima wants to send the world (my interpretation). I think it's beautiful.



This one is about the post bomb hospitals set up to deal with the survivors. The first hospital you see is the Red Cross Hospital where Dr Y works today. It's all in Japanese, but you get a good idea of what it was like here after the bomb.



And lastly one by the BBC reconstructing the day.


No comments: