Thursday 2 July 2009

Back to School!


Yes, I did just report that my girl was on holiday.
But the job that I have to do to pay for all her free time, is unfortunately in the Japanese school system, and my hols don't start for another 3 weeks.
So we are indulging her Japanese half, by sending her to the local elementary school up the hill for the last 3 weeks of term.
The walk up the veritable mountain every morning with a jam-packed satchel, in wellies and with umbrella notwithstanding, I'm glad to report that she is loving it.
Control freak Mummy is of course having severe issues about letting her walk up the busy rush hour road by herself (well, with 3 other 6 year-olds), but the gins before bed are helping with that. Having already made friends with the neighbour over the back who is in her class, K-chan, meant that Weechan was really looking forward to her first day there, while Mummy was phone-watching all day.

I expected her back at 3:30.
The torrential rain started about 3pm. No I mean like a power shower. No exaggeration for dramatic effect. It sounded like machine gun fire on my roof.
3:30 came and went.

2 mini Mummies sittng on my shoulders giving me grief:
Paranoid Mummy: " I'm going out to search for her"
Other paranoid Mummy:"Don't be crap. She'll be mortified"

The doorbell rang.
She normally opens the gate herself, but I hear, rather than see her, in the video entrance phone screen. She's too wee to be seen. Bless.
"Open it for me..."

I run down and open the door to find her standing there in endofthelivingworld tears.

Paranoid Mummy: "Oh God she hated it. She will refuse to go back. What will I do?"

Thankfully (I am awful), it was "only" that she was truly traumatised by the rain she'd just had to walk home in, and to boot hadn't heard me say I was coming to open the door, so thought she'd been abandoned.

#crapmum

So far the Japanese she has taught herself and learned at school is still more advanced than what they are doing up there, so she doesn't have comprehension issues yet. This will probably change next year, but all in all a great start.



No comments: