Saturday 31 January 2009

The Big 4-0!




Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

After the excitement of Halloween, I had time to contemplate my impending 40th birthday. Another milestone drops off the list. When I was a child, the very idea of the year 2000 ever happening was the stuff of science fiction, never mind actually turning 40. Now that it is here, I find myself much more philosophical about becoming 40 than I was when I turned 30. Maybe I just didn't have time to think about it, who knows.
I always joke about Mairi's annual birth"week", but this year really was the never-ending birthday for me. On the actual day, I went into work to find a bottle of champagne on my desk from BigJ , which was lovely, and good wishes from all sides, and then it was off to a lovely French dinner (that's what the photos are Mum) with Hubby in the evening.The next day, the lovely Shez brought me an equally lovely homemade cake to the book club meeting I was hosting. And then of course there was the surprise party, the organizing of which was an international effort of embarrassing porportions.
I had a lovely time aboard the Ginga cruise ship with most of the leading characters in my life in attendance, all thanks to my good friend L and my ever OTT sister. THANK YOU to all involved. The words are not enough. If I wasn't overly surprised by the supposed main event when my sister appeared out of the toilet half-way through, ( her mobile phone delivered to my house from Kansai Airport on the morning of the party was a bit of a giveaway), I WAS genuinely surprised and touched by all the people who turned up on the night, and who helped to make it a night to remember.
Cheers! Once again, relive it through the slideshow above if you will.

No comments: