Wednesday 8 April 2009

Bye Bye Tulip - Graduation Day


OK, so I have been known to wax cynical on the subject of Japanese ceremonies. They do seem to have a formal ceremony for the beginning and end of any activity that one might do for longer than 10 minutes. And in my working capacity, I have sat through a few. Mostly the word "ceremony" is associated with numbness for me, of the brain and the buttocks.
But recently, the shoe has been on the other foot for the first time, I suppose. And so it was, with trepidation, and, quite frankly, full blown influenza, that I set off with Weechan and Dr Dad for her graduation ceremony from the play school she has been attending for the past 2 years- albeit part time. I really did feel like someone had scraped me off the road, but when I got there, my mothering instincts kicked in, and I actually started to feel a bit nostalgic.

All in all it was kind of nice to have an event to draw a line under a formative period of her life, say goodbye and thank you to well made friends and teachers. Oh hell, maybe it was the tamiflu, but I even shed a tear or two myself.




In true nursery fashion, we all had to sit on the tiny chairs, just like our kids, so there was that familiar numb bum sensation, just to prove that the rest was down to pure emotion.


The head teacher gave a rousing speech, to inspire us all for elementary school.




And to prove that Tulip is in the 21st century, one of the kids who had to move house before the end of the year got to take part in the ceremony and receive his "diploma" by web cam!
Kinda cool!





It's traditional at congratulatory events to eat these red and white beanpaste manju cakes.


That's what they looked like for about 20seconds after the box was opened!

Thank you Tulip! It was only sometimes, but we loved you!

No comments: