Friday 11 July 2008

Imagine the Unimaginable

Maybe it's in part premenstrual hysterics, but I actually cried when I read this story about a brother and sister finding each other after 66 years this morning.

"Imagine" had just shuffled its way up to the "now playing" spot on iTunes, and I'd just told Mairi to listen to the words and remember them. (Met by "OK Mummy. Now I can I listen to the Morning Musume one again").

I spent most of my University life dissecting this particular horrible period of history in one way or another, but it still, and perhaps even more personally now, given my bi-cultural and international family circumstances, FLOORS me to think what human beings are capable of doing to each other. And all in the name of some abstract ideology. Just about anything is justifiable to people if they are desperate enough.

And then you see the strength of the human spirit. These survivors went on, and lived, in spite of it all.

And despite all the talk on Remembrance Day each year, it is STILL happening somewhere in the world, as we speak, on any given day.

And in the end, all you've got is family.

And the power of the words.

Cliches one and all, but none the less true for all that.

2 comments:

Maethelwine said...

Okay, time for a new post. I cried too, but we all need to move on now.

Jax said...

Hahahahaha! Hormones are back to normal, so I'll get this off the top soon.Just letting you all see my soppy side.